Saturday, November 5, 2011

Some very sad news

On October 20th, my cousin and very close friend Jeff Desmond passed away unexpectedly. He was an extremely smart, kind, thoughtful person. Among the many things he did to help me get through the difficulty of being essentially alone through most of my first decade in New Hampshire was to collaborate with me on a number of creative projects. Jeff gave me a ton of suggestions for my continually unfinished sci-fi novel “Vanguard 7.” One really entertaining project we completed was the “Retro Liquid Lunch” in which we sang along, drank along, and commented on various songs we listened to in the 1980s and ‘90s. We always intended to come up with a sequel to that, but never did. Jeff also helped out a lot with a comic book his son Logan and I are working on called “Doctor Deformo”. He also had a lot of awesome ideas for this Internet journal.

While the English language is an exceptionally pliable tool for eliciting laughter and comedy, especially in Jeff’s hands, it’s an extremely poor instrument for expressing sorrow and loss. Simply saying, “I miss Jeff a lot” doesn’t come close to fully encapsulating my feelings, but it has the advantage of being accurate.

No comments: